Monday, September 1, 2014

Past Continuous Tense

What Past Continuous Tense Tells Us?

The Past continuous tense tells us about a continuing action, something that was happening, going on, at some point in the past, and the action is thought to be finished. This tense does not give a clear sense whether the action has finshed or not. This tense is formed with the helping "to be" verb(was) plus ing form of the verb.
For example:

1. He was sleeping when I got home.
2. They were eating when I called them.
3. He was playing. (not clear, whether he is still playing or not)
4. She was studying. (not clear, whether he is still studying or not)
5. I was watching a movie. (It suggests that I am not watching now.)
6. I was writing a letter. (but it is necessary that the letter has been written completely)
7. I was going to school.
8. He was driving a car.
9. Everyone was laughing.
10. The child was crying.
11. My father was always shouting at my brother.

Structure of Past Continuous Tense

Positive:
Subject + was + ing form of the verb 
He + was + playing
Negative:
Subject + was + not + ing form of the verb
He + was + not + going + to school
Interrogative:
Was + subject + ing form of the verb
Was + he + sleeping?
Negative Interrogative:
Was + subject + not + ing form of the verb
Was + he + not + going to school.

No comments:

Post a Comment